Dan Sarto is co-founder, publisher and editor-in-chief of Animation World Network. Since launching in 1996, AWN.com has become one of the largest, most comprehensive and respected publishers of animation and visual effects news and information resources on the Internet. Key publication websites include AnimationWorld Magazine, VFXWorld Magazine and the Animation Flash and VFXNewswire newsletters. Each month, AWN’s portals are visited by over 300,000 unique readers from more than 100 countries.
For the last four years, Dan has also been a Master of Animation and New Media for the Beijing-based DeTao Group, providing consulting and educational development services for their operations across China. His media company incubation studio, located in Shanghai, has just launched their first Chinese-language community portal, AVGChannel.com, a sister website to AWN.com, focusing on the professional animation, visual effects and game industries in China. In addition to providing strategic planning and media development consultative services, he has lectured on various business and creative topics at the Shanghai Institute for Visual Arts (SIVA), Institute for Animation and Creative Content (IACC), China Central Academy of Fine Arts (CCAFA), the Peking University Shenzhen Graduation School and the Chinese University of Hong Kong, as well as the Shanghai and Zhejiang Public Libraries.
- 1995, Co-Founder & Publisher of Animation World Network.
- 1988-1993, Partner, Interconnect Network Consulting Group, a pioneering local area network design and integration firm specializing in designing, planning and building departmental distributed networks while downsizing and migrating away from mini and mainframe computer processing. Developed courseware and certification training programs for Lotus Notes and Banyan Vines network engineering education. Operated Los Angeles and Boston-based training centers that trained more than 250 certified Novell, Banyan and Lotus Notes network engineers per month.
Honors and Awards
- Dan frequently speaks at industry events, having served on juries, delivered keynotes or moderated panels at events such as the 3D Festival, CCG Expo, FMX, Hong Kong Entertainment Expo, London Effects and Animation Festival, SIGGRAPH and SIGGRAPH Asia, VES Festival and VIEW Conference, as well as the AnimaFest, Ottawa and Annecy International Animation Film Festivals.
- Professional Spotlight Video Interviews – Produced hundreds of individual segment interviews at leading conferences like SIGGRAPH, SIGGRAPH Asia, FMX and VIEW chronicling the work of over 200 top animation, visual effects and game industry professionals. Written thousands of news posts, feature articles, blog posts and e-mail newsletters dating back to AWN’s 1996 launch. Authored Animation School Database catalogues from years 1998-2005. Contributing writer for LAN Magazine 1989-1992.
- B.A in Biology with minor in Mathematics from University of California at Santa Cruz.